Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus


Needless to say, everytime there is going to be a new Terry Gilliam film I am thrilled. Problem is he hasn't made a good movie in ages, and then there's the Quixote debacle, which I truly hope gets resurrected. But when you've made shit as good as Time Bandits and Brazil, you earn a lot of leeway from me.
That being said what you get in Dr. Parnassus is a whole bunch of cool bits that remind you how good Gilliam can be. What you don't get, however, is an engaging story and engaging performances. Well, Christopher Plummer seems invested, and you can't really fault Tom Waits, who wasn't that bad, but the rest are taking a back seat to Gilliam's fervent imagination, which is on display unlike any recent film of his since Munchausen.
I'm not giving Parnassus a bad review, in my opinion it is far better than Tideland or Brothers Grimm, it's just that at the end of the film I wish Gilliam had spent as much time writing a truly captivating story as he did dreaming up the Imaginarium.

No comments:

Post a Comment